Posted by The TaxAdvocate Group, LLC

A Basic Guide For Taxpayers With Expiring ITIN & Renewal Guide

A Basic Guide For Taxpayers With Expiring ITIN & Renewal Guide

Do you need an ITIN renewal? If so, you need to know the requirements and steps you need to take to renew them. You don't need to go overboard, as the following paragraphs will tell you what you need to know to make this process run smoothly.

Do I have to renew ITINs?

An ITIN is a nine-digit number that the IRS assigns to people who need a U.S. tax identification number for U.S. federal tax purposes. This is possible for people who are not eligible for an SSN.

Occasionally, ITINs need to be renewed because they expire. The IRS usually announces the expiration of the ITIN numbers that are set to expire. If you do not renew your ITIN early, you expose yourself to the risk of late tax returns.

Who needs to renew their ITIN?

There are different categories of people who need to renew their ITIN.

For example, people with ITINs with middle digits 70, 71, 72, 78, 79, or 80 have expired already. So if you haven't signed up for renewal yet and have had one of these numbers, you must start the renewal process as soon as possible. You can renew it at any time, even if you haven't renewed ITIN yet.

Also, numbers 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 81, and 82 should have applied for renewal. The W-7 form is the document that must be submitted to get a renewal. This must be done even if the ITIN has been used for the past three years.

If you received the CP-48 notification from the IRS, you would likely need to renew your ITIN. The notification will state, "You must renew your individual tax identification number (ITIN) to file your U.S. income tax return." Also, in the notification, you will find information on all the steps to follow to renew your ITIN.

For the time being, if you have received the notification but have already requested the renewal, you do not need to do anything. You should do this only if you have another affected family member.

To be a dependent spouse or resident in the United States, an ITIN renewal is also required. However, if you have a spouse or dependent who lives outside the United States, you do not need to apply for an ITIN renewal. The dependent or spouse only needs to renew it if they intend to get tax benefits or file a tax return.

Requirements for ITIN renewal

If you want to renew your ITIN, you must submit Form W-7, the IRS Individual Tax Number application form. The form must be submitted with the necessary documentation. The documents must prove your identity and your status as a foreigner. Therefore, you may be required to present your passport and/or other documents. May be:

  • Birth certificate

  • Educational documentation

  • Foreign driving license

  • Foreign military identity card

  • I.D. card

  • Identity card for the U.S. state.

  • U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service photo I.D.

  • U.S. driver's license.

  • U.S. military I.D. card.

  • Visa

It is also imperative to know that no income tax return is required to renew your ITIN. At the same time, if a filling is required, the return must be presented definitively with the request for renewal. This will prevent you from possible refund delays. If you know of any family member with an ITIN, make sure they also complete Form W-7 with you.

When submitting your documents, you only need to do so with the original versions of your I.D. It is also possible to send copies of the documents to the issuing body if this is permitted.

Make sure the document is valid and has not expired. There must also be an expiration date for them. If an expiration date is not available, the IRS will accept the documents within 12 months of filing the request. Your documents must include a photo and your name.

For dependents, the passport does not serve as a separate piece of identification, especially if the date of entry is not present. It will only be available while the employee is in the Overseas Army. Then, with the passport, they will have to present specific documents, depending on their age.

How to renew an ITIN

If you need to renew an ITIN, here are the steps to follow.

First Option

Submit Form W-7, along with foreign status and proof of identity documents, to the IRS. There will be a sixty day period during which you will receive the identification documents. The sooner you send the documents, the more likely you are to avoid delays. The address to which documents are sent is:

Internal Revenue Service

 Austin Service Center

 ITIN Operation

 P.O. Box 149342

 Austin, TX 78714-9342

Second Option

Use the services of an IRS-authorized CAA (Certifying Acceptance Agent) to request an ITIN from staff. Working with the CAA means that you don't have to submit your documents to the IRS, especially if you don't agree to send the original documents. With the help of a certifying acceptance agent, your ITIN request will be verified to see if it is correct, and your identity documents will be authenticated before submission.

Third Option

You can also prevent the original documents from being sent by making an appointment at an IRS taxpayer assistance center. Also, you make an appointment at the designated center and then go through in-person identity authentication. You must bring the W-7 form with any other required documents.

Documents required for minors

There have been some changes in the ITIN program. Dependents will need to use a passport for authentication, which also means they will need the date of entry into the United States, which applies to dependents from countries other than Mexico or Canada and persons with a military charge staff in other countries. There are extra documents that must be submitted to prove residency. All are based on the age of the employee.

  • If they are under six years old, a medical file is required.

  • If they are under 18, school documents are required.

  • For those over 18, bank statements, rental statements, or utility bills with the address and name of the U.S. applicant must be present.


Completing an ITIN renewal is not rocket science. You just need to understand how to complete and send the W-7 form and where it can be sent. As long as you have the necessary documents and can prove your identity and status, getting a renewal shouldn't be that difficult.

Remember to request the renewal well in advance. Otherwise, there may be delays in receiving your tax returns, and you certainly don't want that to happen. We hope our article will help you in this smooth process.



The TaxAdvocate Group, LLC
Contact Member