Posted by Michelson Law Office

Can You Claim Your Unborn Baby as a Dependent on Your Tax Return?

Can You Claim Your Unborn Baby as a Dependent on Your Tax Return?

When is the most recent period a child can be conceived in the tax session to be classified qualifying dependent? 

It's conceivable to claim your child as a dependent as long as she was conceived whenever during the tax session or period—regardless of whether it's 11:59 p.m. of December 31st. In any case, if she holds up until 12:01 a.m. on Jan. 1, you're out of luck at least, until you record that year's expense form. Since truly, she should be conceived before she can qualify. 

A persevering rumor glides about that your baby must be at any rate a half-year-old before you can claim her as a child. That is false. However, a lot of different rules does make a difference. 

A Qualifying Child—The Residency Rule 

We should investigate the general criteria for asserting a qualifying child as a dependent. The primary rule is that he should live with you for the more significant part of the year. This may appear to rule out your New Year's Eve baby, yet the Internal Revenue Code makes a special case for babies. The exemption likewise applies when a child passes on during the year. 

The Internal Revenue Service states in Publication 501 that: 

"A child who was conceived or gave up the ghost during the year is treated as having lived with you all through the year if your house was the child's home the whole time the person in question was alive during the year. The equivalent is valid if the child lived with you throughout aside from any required emergency clinic stay following birth." 

How about we read that again to catch its details. A child conceived during the year "is treated as having lived with you all through the year" given that the child lived with you in your home for "the whole time the individual in question was alive during the year...except for any required medical clinic stay." 

As such, your baby will meet the residency test since he will probably have lived with you from his time of birth on because even a stay in the clinic is viewed as living in your home. 

If the child is put in childcare or up for selection and leaves your care, that changes things. Another special case would be if his other parent promptly took guardianship of him and you don't likewise live with that parent. What's more, for this situation, an entirely different cluster of rules applies. 

The "Tiebreaker" Provision 

The IRS gives definite criteria to who gets the opportunity to claim a baby as a dependent when the guardians are separate or isolated. They're called Tiebreaker Rules since they regularly become an integral factor when the two guardians need to claim their ward. Just one of you can do as such. 

These rules are something like a stepping stool. Guardians must advance starting with one step then onto the next until one of them qualifies. The initial step or necessity is that the parent with whom the child lived most during the duty year gets the chance to guarantee her. If she was conceived in November and promptly returned home from the emergency clinic with her other parent, that parent gets the chance to claim her since she lived with him the whole time she was alive. 

But, imagine a scenario where this is very dicey? Imagine a situation where the baby indeed is brought into the world late on New Year's Eve so it can't be unmistakably figured out who she lived with longest. For this situation, the parent with the most noteworthy balanced gross salary (AGI) is qualified for case her as a child. Honestly, it will come down to which of you gains more. 

Every one of these rules accepts that you're not married. In case you are, you can both successfully claim the child regardless of when or what time he was conceived during the tax session or year if you document a joint return. 

Different Tests 

Your baby will likewise qualify as your needy pretty much as a matter of course under the rest of the IRS rules for qualifying child wards. A child must be your child or little girl, sibling or sister, or a relative of one of these people. You have this one secured if you've quite recently conceived an offspring. 

The child's age must be less than 19 on the most recent day of the tax year, or age 24 if she's a full-time scholar. He qualifies here, as well. 

At long last, the child couldn't have given the more significant part of his or her financial sustenance for the year. Except if and until child labor acts fundamentally change, this ought not to be an issue. 

Does It Still Make a difference in 2019? 

You may have heard that having a dependent doesn't do you much good any longer, in any event from 2018 through 2025, because of the new expense law implemented by Congress in December 2017. The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 dispenses with the individual exemption that used to be accessible for every one of your wards. 

In any case, the Child Tax Credit, the Earned Income Tax Credit, and the Child and Dependent Care Credit are for the most part still fit as a fiddle, and having a ward is fundamental to qualifying for every one of them. What's more, on the off chance that you and your baby's other parent aren't living respectively, your ward may help qualify you as head of family, a favorable documenting status.

In this way, indeed, having a child is as yet something to be thankful for at tax time, and indeed, your infant will qualify you if you meet these rules, even if she's conceived at the eleventh hour of the year.

Michelson Law Office
Contact This Member