Posted by Advantage Tax Services, Inc.

First Time International Taxpayer

First Time International Taxpayer

If you are not a citizen of The United States of America and you file a tax return in the United States for the first time, you will probably be wondering what shipping process is right for you. Below you will find a brief of the preliminary issues you will encounter, how you can get an ID number.

Filing Requirements

Expats are US citizens or green card holders who have moved abroad and work abroad. As an expatriate, you must complete an EE return (Form 1040) and annually display the worldwide income corresponding to the deposit limit applicable to you, as well as external information, such as Form 8938 and FBAR, may be required.

A definition of terms for Non-Citizens

If you are not a citizen of the United States, you can belong to one of these three groups for tax purposes: a non-resident alien, a resident alien, or a dual-status taxpayer. In general, if you hold a visa in the United States, you are considered as an inpat. It is vital to keep in mind that tax reporting status does not change or affect your immigration status.

Know the group you fall on

If you have a green card, the answer is simple: you are a resident alien. If you do not have a green card, you must use the Substantial Presence test to determine the status of your tax refund.

You will need to know:

  • The duration of days spent in the US this year.
  • The number of days spent in the United States in each of the previous two years.
  • The course of your initial visit to the United States.
  • The type of visa status you have.
  • What kinds of visas do your spouse and family members have?

The status of your visa can help you determine the status of your deposit because specific visa categories must be treated as non-resident aliens for a certain period. Presence in the United States In the privileged particular classes, they will not be considered days of attendance for tax residence purposes. For example, a teacher or apprentice with a "J" visa will not count for days in the United States. You have this visa in the first two years. This means that they will be considered non-resident aliens and will present a 1040R for the first two years.

There is also the last category: foreigners with dual status. In general, you are presented as a double contributor during the years in which you travel or leave the United States.

The implications of your marital status

US citizens and foreign residents must report their worldwide income and file a tax return in the United States. Each year, they respect the applicable storage limit. This is right irrespective of where you live in the world.

However, a non-resident alien pays only US income tax, including wages for work done in the United States. If a return (FORM 1040NR) is required as a non-resident, it depends on several factors. However, if you earn a salary as an employee, you must send the return.

How to file a US tax return for the first time

You will need a TIN (Tax Identification Number) to send a US tax return. US citizens generally hold a Social Security Number (SSN). If you already have an SSN, even if you cannot work in the United States use it as TIN. If you have applied for a social security number, you do not need to apply for a Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN).

However, if you do not possess an SSN (Social Security Number), and you are not eligible, you must apply for a Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN). If it is possible to apply for an exemption for marriage and employee, the wife and children will also need an ITIN.  Also, tax returns using an ITIN do not qualify for an income tax credit (EITC).

Request for an ITIN

There are two methods for requesting an ITIN. First, you can claim an ITIN by completing Form W-7 and attaching it to the income tax return for which ITIN is being claimed. The other method is to request authentication of the original documents by a certificate acceptance agent (CAA) and the attachment of the certificate IDs for the W-7 application.

Working with the Substantial Presence Test and the ITIN application process can be discouraging. Immigrants and expatriates willing to use their tax returns and FBARs can get help from H & R Block Services for expatriates. Expatriate tax services also have CAA, which can assist in the ITIN registration process.

Advantage Tax Services, Inc.
Contact This Member