Posted by Fred Lake

Social Security Benefits Statement (also known as SSA-1099/ SSA-1042S)

Social Security Benefits Statement (also known as SSA-1099/ SSA-1042S)

Tax season is here, and replacing your annual tax return has never been easier. Your annual security benefit statement, also known as SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S, is a tax form sent out every January to people who receive social security benefits. It shows the total amount of benefits you received the previous year, so you know how much Social Security income you have to report to the IRS on your tax return.

If you live in the US and need a replacement form SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S, go online and instantly get a printable replacement form using your personal Social Security account at A replacement SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S is available for the previous fiscal year after February 1.

If you don't have access to a personal printer, you can save the document to your computer or send it as an email attachment to yourself. If you don't have my Social Security account, creating one is very easy and usually takes less than 10 minutes.

With a personal social security account, you can do much of your business online. If you are receiving benefits or on Medicare, your personal Social Security account is also the best way to apply for a replacement for a Social Security number card (in most states and the District of Columbia), get your benefit verification letter and payment information, change your address and phone number, change your direct credit information, apply for a replacement Medicare card, or report your salary if you are working and receiving Social Security disability insurance or income supplementary pension.

If you are not a citizen of the United States and live outside of the United States and have received or paid Social Security benefits in the past year, you can get your Form SSA-1042S in the mail. The SSA-1099 and SSA-1042S forms are not available for people receiving additional security benefits.

To get your security benefit statement, you will have to visit

What is the difference between a disability claim and a disability report? Do I have to complete both?

A disability claim is a claim for Social Security disability benefits. A disability report provides information about your current physical or mental condition needed to process your disability claim. To apply for disability benefits, you must complete a disability application, complete a disability report, and provide a permit to issue medical records. The best place to start is

What is a "probationary period" for disability?

A probationary work period is an incentive that allows beneficiaries with a Social Security disability to test their ability to work without losing benefits. People who receive Social Security disability benefits can work for at least nine months without losing benefits. In this period of experimental work, you can get full benefits irrespective of how much you earn, as long as you continue to have a serious and disabling impairment and that you declare your professional activity. The probationary work period continues until the end of nine months of probationary work over a period of 60 months.



Fred Lake
Contact Member