Posted by Larry Kenneth Hurt

The Schedule K-1: What entrepreneurs need to know.

The Schedule K-1: What entrepreneurs need to know.

The Schedule K-1 can be tied to different tax returns, depending on how the business was created. The K-1 tax form varies slightly depending on whether the ownership structure is a partnership, an S corporation, or a trust or estate.

What is the Schedule K-1 Tax Form?

Pass-through owners must submit the tax form listed in Schedule K-1 and the personal tax return to report their share of the company's profits, losses, deductions, and credits. Beneficiaries of trust and property must also submit Schedule K-1. 

If you are an S-corp or a partner or member of LLC, you have probably received a schedule K-1 in your email address. The Internal Revenue Service will not accept your tax return if the Schedule K-1 is not included. And if you don't sign up for the Schedule K-1, you could face hefty penalties for late payment and back taxes.

Fortunately, the rules in Schedule K-1 are not very complicated. Best to have an accountant or tax specialist to help you out, but we'll show you Revenue Service the form and how and when to submit it, so you're ready for it when the next tax season comes. 

Who Should File the Schedule K-1?

Like a W2 or 1099 form, the Schedule K-1 lists taxable income but is intended for certain types of businesses only. The form shows the income you received from the business and divides it into different categories.

Two groups of taxpayers must file a Schedule K-1 with their taxes:

  1. Owners of pass-through business entities: S Corp, Partnerships, and LLC taxed as an S-Corp or partnership

  2. Beneficiaries of a trust or estates: The information on the form and the filing rules vary slightly depending on the type of taxpayer.

Schedule K-1 for Pass-Through Entities 

A pass-through entity is a commercial entity for which income, losses, credits, and deductions are presented in the owners' declarations. This income is then taxed at personal tax rates. S Corporations, LLC, and partnerships that pay fees such as S-corp or partnerships are the main types of pass-through entities.

Depending on several factors, pass-through taxes may be more beneficial than charging the business with corporate taxes (as in C corporations).

Schedule K-1 shows the share of each partner or shareholder in business income and losses. For example, if a partner owns 60% of a business, their Schedule K-1 would reflect 60% of the business's profits and losses.

Here's a more detailed look at what goes on Schedule K-1:

  • Dividends, deductions, profits, and losses are declared in the schedule K-1 of each partner or shareholder. They are calculated according to each partner or shareholder or the company's percentage of ownership or investment.

  • If a partnership in which one or more partners receive guaranteed payments, the guaranteed payments are also displayed on the Schedule K-1 of the partner.

  • K-1 includes an analysis of the capital account for each partner or a percentage of the shareholder's share entitlement.

Each partner attaches Schedule Form K-1 to the tax return.

Schedule K-1 for Trusts and Properties

Beneficiaries of a trust or estate should also file the Schedule K-1. The trustee of a trust or real estate fund must issue a Schedule K-1 to allow beneficiaries to report their income on the tax return correctly.

The only difference is that the recipient does not have to include the K-1 Schedule in the tax return. They should keep it and use it only to report income, losses, loans, and deductions for trust or equity.

When to file Schedule K-1 

The deadline for businesses to issue the Schedule K-1 to all business owners is March 15 of the calendar year. The same day the tax return is expected; therefore, by March 15, you should have calculated the income distribution and loss for each owner.

The Form K-1 will show each owner's share of the business's income and losses and any credits or distributions the owner has received. The March 15 deadline gives entrepreneurs enough time to communicate and submit this information with their tax return, usually in mid-April.

How to complete the Schedule K-1 Form

Filing instructions for Schedule K-1 depend on the identity of the tax classifier. There are three different forms of Schedule K-1 form:

  • Form 1041 of the Schedule K-1 for beneficiaries of a trust or estate

  • Form 1065, Schedule K-1 for Partnerships

  • Form 1120S, Schedule K-1 for S Corps

You will need to select the right form for your type of business. LLC members must choose the tax form.

Check the accuracy of your Schedule K-1 Tax Form

The tax form in Schedule K-1 contains information not only on corporate income and losses but also on business property.

At the most basic level, you or a tax professional should check your Schedule K-1 and see if you are reporting the correct amount of income. This document will be used to prepare the tax return, and you want to declare the correct amount of income and deductions.

If you have received guaranteed payments from a business, recheck the amount indicated in the Schedule K-1 and compare it to your records. If the values are low, ask the company for a correct explanation or K-1 (or arrange an owner meeting to find the error).

Schedule K-1 also contains information on commercial ownership. The basic ownership phrase refers to the business owner's initial investment and the capital in the business. The base increases when the owner receives profits from the business and decreases when it incurs a loss. The basis is important in determining the profit or loss of an owner when he sells his business interests and leaves it. If the ownership percentages do not appear correct, ask the person who completed Schedule K-1 to explain their calculations.

Finally, ensure that you are using the Schedule K-1 correctly for your situation. Several versions of the Schedule K-1 tax form for partnership partners, S-corps, and beneficiaries of a trust or estate are mentioned above. If you are an associate in a partnership, your Schedule K-1 must refer to form 1065. For S-corps, you must refer to Form 1120S. If you got money from an inheritance or trust, see Form 1041. 

Some states also have a K-1 or equivalent that must be provided to taxpayers in that state. 

Bottom Line

Checking the correct information on the Schedule K-1 will ensure that your tax return is completed accurately and that you are reporting all income and claiming all deductions you need to report. This will make the tax season less stressful for you and your tax preparer.

Larry Kenneth Hurt
Contact This Member