www.taxprofessionals.com - TaxProfessionals.com
Posted by Pat Raskob

Common Ways to Contact Uncle Sam for Tax Help

Common Ways to Contact Uncle Sam for Tax Help

The tax season can be incredibly overwhelming for all, especially when you need help with your taxes. However, Uncle Sam can guide you through the essential things you need to know. Uncle Sam can be accessed via many channels. As a result, if you have a question about your return, completing your tax form, or other purposes, they can help. 

IRS staff are trained to help you through any issue that might arise. This way, filing your tax return should not be an arduous task. 

Here are various ways to get in touch with the IRS:

  1. Online Contact with the IRS

To get the information you might need from Uncle Sam, proceeding to the IRS website is one of the best ways. You can access important information at IRS.gov and download any publication. 

The place is filled with assorted information alongside some FAQs, changes in tax laws, and others. While it might not take the place of talking to a real agent, the resources can guide you towards what you need. 

Even if you are wondering about the status of your refund, there is a "Where's My Refund?" that you can check. 

  1. Contact Uncle Sam via phone

Another terrific option to reach out to Uncle Sam is via telephone contact if you don't have access to a computer. Uncle Sam has provided several toll-free numbers to assist taxpayers depending on their specific case:

  • For taxpayers with anything related to personal taxes - 800-829-1040. Available from 7 am to 7 pm

  • For a business with various issues on their taxes - 800-829-4933. Available local time as well, from 7 am to 7 pm

  • Nonprofit tax questions - 877-829-5500. It is open from 8 am to 5 pm

  • Estate and gift tax questions - 866-699-4096. It is available Eastern Time from 8 am to 3:30 pm. 

  • For questions on stimulus checks, Uncle Sam can be reached via 800-919-9835

However, this live phone assistance is limited due to the COVID-19 pandemic. As a result, one can expect some wait time before connecting to staff. 

It is also possible to contact the Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS) for any tax issue you cannot resolve. 

  1. Contact Uncle Sam by Mail

While Uncle Sam is not a big fan of mails, you can still mail paper tax forms if you have no other options. If you don’t mind waiting for some time for the response, you can send your correspondence via snail mail. 

If you are contacting Uncle Sam by mail, try to reach an IRS official by mail, usually the local IRS district director. However, a response might take up to 30 to 45 days at times. 

Also, don’t forget that mailing your tax return can delay the processing of your tax refund. As a result, you might wait many weeks before getting your paper check refund. 

  1. Contact the IRS Local office

The IRS has a series of local offices called Taxpayer Assistance Centers (TACs), where you can go in for any assistance. These centers are located across the nations, so you can find the nearest to you via searching on the IRS website. 

While many TACs are open, you need an appointment to visit. Check the IRS website to know the policies and hours of the center nearest to you.

If you visit the IRS local office when tax season peaks up, there could be a delay. As a result, you might be better off sorting yourself out through other means. 

  1. Use fax to Submit IRS Tax Form 

Uncle Sam ended faxing and mailing the tax return in 2019.  Indeed, sending sensitive information by fax is not recommended, although you can still fax other non-sensitive documents. 

If you have to submit some documents to Uncle Sam via fax, check the number listed on your audit notice. 



Pat Raskob
Contact Member