Posted by Income Taxes and Bookkeeping LLC

How to Know the Correlation Between Your Filing Status & Federal Tax Deduction

How to Know the Correlation Between Your Filing Status & Federal Tax Deduction

Generally, the specific amount you pay for taxes is dependent on your current filing states. Many people do not have a clue about what a filing status is all about.

Essentially, three filing statuses exist for unmarried people. They are head of household, widow or widower singles.

As for those that are married, their taxes may be separately or together, depending on what they prefer.

Each of these filing statuses has a corresponding tax ratio that applies to the different tax ranges. It stands for the balance that the person or couple's earnings are taxed when they get to a specific limit. There are seven tax rate grades starting from 10% and ending at 37%.

The US has an ascending tax system. The tax ratio progressively increases as the individual earnings increase. Nevertheless, you must pick the appropriate filing status for the tax. That way, you become entitled to specific credits & deductions. Also, it's a determining factor for the typical deduction cost and appropriate tax liability.

On getting a job, it’s required that you fill out a W-4 and choose a filing status for your boss to determine the amount of money to remove for taxes out of your salaries. Additionally, when you need to file your tax return, you must pick a file status to ensure that the cost of taxes allocated and your total tax bill are equal.

You must update your W-4 as required. Various happenings and life events can influence the changes. Marriage, delivery of a baby, new home acquisition, and divorce may cause you to make the necessary changes in your W-4.

Sometimes, people ignore this crucial factor, and the negligence may go on to affect their finances drastically. 

Knowing Your Status

How do you know your filing status? The following will guide you in understanding the category you fall into.


If you are not married and not dependent on anyone, you must file in the singles category. However, if you were married in the past and your divorce proceedings are over. You need to file in the singles category or the head of household with the year the divorce proceedings were over.

Head of Household

Some prerequisites are involved if unmarried people are filing as head of household. For a start, they should have a dependent, which can be a child, an adopted child, a grandchild, a stepchild, siblings, and an uncle, aunt, parent, nephew, or niece in some exceptional situations.

Additionally, those whose partners are no longer living in the home for the past six months with no intention to come back also belong in this category.


People that got married on the 31st of December are entitled to file a joint return in that year. Couples have a lot to gain, like accessibility to tax credits, huge standard deductions, and joint incomes.

For those that file separately, this is achievable when they make reports of their earnings, deductions, and credits. Nevertheless, the tax returns are interwoven.

Widows and Widowers

For those who have lost their spouses, they are permitted to file together in the year of the spouse's demise.

Subsequently, in 2 years, they can now file using the status of a qualifying widower or widow, permitted if they have a dependent child, adopted child, or stepchild. Plus, they haven’t remarried.


The standard deductions for this filing status vary. The most important thing is that you know the category you belong to.

This would help know the standard deduction you are entitled to and prevent tax liabilities. 



Income Taxes and Bookkeeping LLC
Contact Member